Tyne and Wear Archives Service provides safe and secure storage for the records of Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland, North Tyneside and South Tyneside and a welcoming environment for visitors who want to consult them.
- To ensure the acquisition and preservation of the archives of Tyne and Wear for present and future generations.
- To provide an inclusive service, that makes archives accessible to all in the search room free of charge
- To make documents available to the public as quickly as possible and produce finding aids in line with national and international standards.
- To promote greater awareness of our archive collections through publications, exhibitions, talks and the effective use of new technology.
- To provide accurate and helpful information about the archives in our care and to respond to enquiries within five days of receiving them.
- To undertake searches of documents in our care in response to short, specific questions and to provide a paid Research Service for more detailed enquiries.
- To inspect, preserve and conserve our collections in accordance with best practice
- To provide an Education Service to encourage the use of archives in schools, further and higher education institutions and as part of life-long learning.
- To collaborate with libraries, museums and other appropriate bodies in the promotion of the region's heritage.
- To promote openness and freedom of information, whilst preserving the privacy of individuals as directed by current legislation and the reasonable wishes of depositors.